[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 1 01:14:53 UTC 2006

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> Quickly jumping on this thread....
>
> I have nvidia 6500 with component output and DVI. Both DVI and
> component give me serious overscan.
> At first I thought it was a problem with my xorg.conf settings, but I
> get as much overscan when I plug my projector on my Apple powerbook.
>
> Any ideas on how I could fix this overscan? If I go in the MythTV
> setup for example, then I can't read most of the inline help.
>
> JY
> PS: Pretty happy with my 6500, 128MB on board video, component output,
> svhs, composite, vga , dvi and fanless.
>
> On 2/1/06, *Gabe Rubin* <gaberubin at gmail.com
> <mailto:gaberubin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 1/31/06, Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net
>     <mailto:charriglists at bellsouth.net>> wrote:
>     > >
>     > >A GeForce FX 5200 is more than enough.
>     > >
>     > >
>     > >
>     > It's what I use, A MSI FX5200-TD128LF.
>     >

>     That is the exact one I was originally looking at.  Good to know
>     others are having success with it.
>
>     Really looking forwared to entering the HD world with my mythbox!

There is some overscanning on HDMI, I had to adjust Mythtv's GUI to just
spill over the edges.  The overscan on the video is not a problem, even
with subtitled shows, everythings stays on screen.  Go from the main
menu to utilities/setup -> setup->apperance  then click next until you
get to the "Screen Settings"  there you can play with those values until
you get the mythgui to fit on the screen.  For my display  1280x720 I
started with 1200 width  with an offset of 40(80/2), 80 being what I
took off of the full resolution, so the space (black bars, whatever...)
would be even on the sides.  Do the same with the Height, e.g; 690
height 15 (30/2) offset.  Play with these values until it's just bigger
than the screen.  It might take a few minutes but worth it.

Calvin...