[mythtv-users] v4l - one last try....

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 01:03:20 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to get a Hauppage WinTV card toplay nice with mythtv.
> I've come to the conclusion that the card simply doesn't like the way
> mythtv talks to it.
>
> When mythtv initializes the card or sends it a channel change command,
> the card resets to PAL from NTSC.  Unfortunately, myth doesn't pick up
> on the change, and the card is incapable of tuning in PAL....  So, myth
> loses all input on the card.
>
> Now, I can get the card to change channels and tune in fine using
> v4lctl, so I've tried to set up the external channel changer.
> Unfortunately, this only works on the initial start; after that, myth
> wants to change channels itself with disastrous results....
>
> Is there a way to tell myth to lay off the tuner completely, and let an
> outside app manage it?  Just close /dev/video?, tell the app what
> channel, and reopen /dev/video? ??  Do absolutely no initialization, no
> freq tables, no standards...  Would that even work?
>
> At this point this is somewhat a matter of pride; I am so close to
> getting this to work, but I just can't get the two parties to talk....
>
> --Yan

This sounds like a module loading issue.  Check the parameters that
you can load the BTTV based cards with, it's in the v4l section in
your kernel source.  Something like:
modprobe bttv card=3 tuner=2

But, there are 45 variations of that, so check the documentation to
see if you can find one that fits your card.

Once you find one that works and plays back TV well, place that in
your modules.conf OR in your /etc/modules.d directory (depending on
your distro).

Chad