[mythtv-users] Changing Physical Locations (zip code and cable provider)

Sun Dec 31 21:40:22 UTC 2006

> So the mere fact you are using cable instead of the antenna shouldn't
> really cause your problem, though it is possible that if the cable
> signals are particularly noisy they might be causing larger mpeg
> files. Noise compresses extremely poorly.

The broadcast was really noisy, the cable seems less noisy.  So I don't
think this would be it.

You are somewhat on the low end of the CPU requirements for SD (don't
> even think about HD on that CPU), and the PCI video card is perhaps a
> tad marginal as well.

In general I want to blame this problem on the computer and maybe upgrade,
It does exhibit odd behavior such as taking 10 minutes to start up (hangs at
first bios screen), and Windows refused to install on it a while back, just
froze.

But it still strikes me as odd that it was working ok on broadcast.

But if it worked before it should work now. I would first make sure
> you have as clean a signal as possible going into the card, then
> perhaps try reducing the max bitrate a bit and see if that helps.

I tried cutting max and regular bit rates in half.  I forget the values.
And that didn't help.  I also tried increasing the resolution and that
didn't help, I'm not sure why it would help but this MythDora FAQ says to do
that (http://g-ding.tv/?q=FAQ)

If your cable system is using so-called "baseband" converters the
> output can be pretty non-standard. I am assuming that you are putting
> the cable RF directly into the PVR card. BB converters are pretty
> rare anymore, they cost too much :-)

I'm not sure about this.

Since you're running Mythdora you might post the problem on their
> forum, if you haven't already.

I'll give that a try too.

Thanks again for the help,

-Greg