[mythtv-users] TV Quality Recommendations (PVR-350 vs. S-Video vs. VGA->Composite)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Dec 29 18:58:17 UTC 2006

On Dec 29, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Mike Hoover wrote:

> With this issue in mind, I've narrowed my options to the following
> three:
>
> 1.  Purchase a PVR-350 and use it's TV-out.

Support for this is no longer maintained and not recommended for
future compatibility. You mentioned wanting to view DivX files as
well. The hardware decoder only supports mpeg2 on this card. Any
other format will render in the frame buffer and give you high CPU
usage so you're not saving anything by using the card in this manner.

> 2.  Purchase an FX5200 and use it's S-Video out.

The most support and best quality. S-Video will give you a better
picture than composite.

> 3.  Purchase a VGA->Composite or similiar adapter and use my
> current video card.

Composite will work just fine, but technically not as good quality as
S-video. However, YMMV depending on the card. I can't tell the
difference between composite and S-video on my old 24" Sony TV but I
did notice a difference when capturing S-Video from my DirecTV box as
opposed to composite from the same STB.