[mythtv-users] KWorld ATSC-110 Question

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 28 22:35:23 UTC 2006

>From: "Craig G." <craig at goranson.org>
>To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] KWorld ATSC-110 Question
>Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:39:26 -0800
>
>To use it both as an analog and a digital tuner, I had configure Myth to
>look at it as two different cards.  The Analog half's performance isn't
>that
>great, as there is not hardware mpeg encoder.  But it works.   If I
>remember
>correctly for the analog side you need to load the saa7134_dvb and
>saa7134_alsa modules, then configure a V4L card entry to point at the
>resulting video and audio inputs.   Can give better details tommorrow when
>get back home, am visiting relatives and don't have access to my myth box.

This will work, but isn't a good solution.  The card is only capable of
using one tuner at a time.  So if you have an ATSC and NTSC recording at the
same time, one or both will fail.  That's why I submitted the patch to make
the analog options work for the Kworld card (someone else did the hard work
for the HD-5500, mine was a one liner).  It allows you to setup the NTSC
tuner as a "daughter card" so only one tuner will be in use at a time.

On my system I use QAM and have a single cable going to the top input.  I
get both QAM and NTSC from that one cable.  I tested and was able to a tune
a few ATSC stations with the bottom input.

On a side note when I upgraded my kernel a few months ago the ATSC and QAM
inputs flip flopped on me.  Originally ATSC was on top and QAM was on the
bottom.  I don't recall what the upgrade was from or to, but I'm currently
running 2.6.19.1 with the setup I mentioned above.

Jake