[mythtv-users] nuvexport - drastic quality difference

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 21:09:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

   I've recently noticed that most of the shows I've archived to Xvid
via nuvexport with the default settings, with the exception of noise
reduction turned off, are extremely blocky/choppy and contain
artifacts.  This is using ffmpeg (as the default).  When I ran
nuvexport with transcode, the quality is much much better, but the
file size is almost double using the exact same settings.  Any ideas
why this would be?

For example, a 30 minute show with commercials out:
ffmpeg: 77.685 MB
transcode: 168.937 MB

Both are configured with the exact same nuvexport settings: everything
default except denoise turned off.

Transcode is slower, but I don't really care that much as long as I
can get good quality for the best usage of space (lowest file size).

I'd like to say that I did review the nuvexport info on the wiki and I
think these are such a big difference that something's gotta be wrong,
not just that there's some subtle differences as the wiki would
suggest.

Also, as a side note I'm transcoding MPEG2 recordings from PVR-250s
and 500's that were encoded originally at 400x400 or 720x480

Thanks!
Matt