[mythtv-users] **Update - FIXED** mythbackend not responding -and even more weirdness

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 27 23:04:20 UTC 2006

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 12/27/06, devsk <funtoos at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Did you file a bug yet? Filing a bug means that problem gets recorded and is
>> searchable by others.
>>

> No bug reports files yet. I do file bug reports with Gentoo when I
> have something repeatable. This one may be. I've gotten a little gun
> shy with some of the responses I've received back for filing reports
> so now I'm far more careful.

The main thing is to provide enough information in the ticket so the dev
has a chance to fix it. Many people just say its not working without
providing the information necessary to fix the bug. In this case a
backtrace when the backend crashes would be useful. If you can get 2 or
3 and check if they are all similar even better. If possible provide a
series of steps that is guaranteed to trigger the crash or at least what
you was doing to trigger the crash. The last part of the backend log
could be useful as well.

If it looks like you have at least made an attempt  to try to help a dev
to track the bug down you are more likely to get a favorable response.
At least thats the theory :-)

Paul H.