[mythtv-users] mythbackend doesn't start

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 27 22:29:48 UTC 2006

> I'm just a mythtv user and not a linux expert. I don't find any 'functions'
> for SuSE.
>
> I'm disappointed in MythTV. I have invested many hours and have tried with
> different Linux distributions (RH6, CentOS 4.4, kubuntu 6.10, SuSE 10.1,
> 10.2) and on every distribution I have had an other problem and it hasn't
> function.
> Why is mythtv so distribution specific ?
> SuSE isn't any of the unknown small distributions and such problems as
> /etc/init.d/functions should be solved in mythtv.
>
> I have chosed mythtv because I need server/client solution and recording.
> And I need just this and anything more.
>
> If I don't get the right answer for this problem I'll serch for other
> solution.
> Probably is the best way to take WindowsXP and vnc to see it on the remote
> client :-)
>

> Thank you again
>
> Regards
>
> Zlatko

Myth doesn't install any start up script if you compile from source so
it is up to you to you to figure out how to start it. There is
an example start up script in the contrib directory but it will not work
with all distributions. It sound like maybe you are using that one
without changing it to work with your distribution. Why don't you use an
existing startup script as a template and change it to start mythbackend?

If you are really desperate to try Myth you could just start mythbackend
in a terminal.

Paul H.