[mythtv-users] Backend Setup with Dual Network Interface ??

Dave Ansell dave at theansells.com
Wed Dec 27 19:03:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

   I am setting up a new Backend server which has two NIC cards.

   I was planning to use one connection for Myth traffic only, the other for
other stuff (mail, http,etc).

   So I have configured DNS
           GeneralHost ->  192.168.1.4
           MythHost -> 192.168.1.5
   That is all working fine.

   At the moment the server hostname is actually set to "GeneralHost"

    My concern is I have read somewhere that mythbackend uses the hostname
when saving shows in the database.   Is this correct?   If so I presume the
effect would be to direct frontends to look for shows on the "GeneralHost"
interface.

    I guess the obvious solution is to change the server host name to
"MythHost", but will that break anythig else?

    Many thanks for any help,

cheers,
Dave