[mythtv-users] Transcode

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:07:10 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, Matthew Asplund <mattasplund at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, just a quick followup question.  I am trying to make sensible
> transcoding rules, and I'm not having much luck.  Here are the parameters.
> my FE/BE is a 1GHz P3, and my card is a PVR-150.  Currently my recordings
> are taking about 2GB per hour.  I was hoping to cut the sturage needs in
> half.  I turned the RTJPEG quality down to 50 (from the default 170) and it
> was small, but the quality was bad.  I wasn't sure if the MPEG4
> encoding/decoding would be CPU intensive for my old P3.

Here are my settings for Autodetect from MPEG2:

No custom filters
no lossless transcode
no resize

Codec: MPEG4
Bitrate: 2200
Max quality: 2
Min quality: 15
Max quality difference: 3

Yes scale bitrate
no high quality encoding
no 4MV
no interlaced DCT
no interlaced motion estimation

Audio codec: MP3
sampling rate: 32000
MP3 quality: 7
volume: 90

This reduces a one-hour show from around 2.2 GB to around 750 MB. The
process takes around 40 minutes (for a one-hour show) on my P4 2.5
GHz.

There's no reason why a P3 would be unable to do the job, it will just
take longer.