[mythtv-users] Aspect Ratios for a Widescreen Monitor?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 13:00:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a HP w20 widescreen 20" monitor with a NVidia FX5200 video card. I'm
running it at 1600x1000 (native is 1680x1050, but X doesn't seem to want to
run at that - it's the same aspect ratio, so it doesn't matter).

When I run mythfrontend, whichever aspect ratio I choose doesn't fit my PAL
16:9 DVB-T videos. Obviously because my monitor is 16:10 there should be a
small bit of letterboxing at the top and bottom. If I choose 16:9, there is
a large letterbox gap, making the picture look squashed vertically. If I
choose 4:3, there is no gap, and the picture looks too tall. If I run a
video in xine fullscreen, there is a small bit of letterboxing - which is
what I want.

Sorry if I've missed something obvious - but Is there a way of doing this in
MythTV?

Thanks,

Jonny