[mythtv-users] Record HD *and* SD showings?

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Tue Dec 26 12:39:46 UTC 2006

Bruce Markey wrote:
> There are four ways to double record an episode that come to
> mind right away and seven as I think about it a little more
> though most of these are not practical for what you want to do.

One of the great things about MythTV is its scheduler -- properly
understanding shows that jump around in time, that it should record
later on a "better" channel rather than now on a "worse" channel--unless
something conflicts, in which case grab it now.  This unfortunately
makes it a pretty complex piece of software to understand and master.

> 4 - what I think I'll recommend. As you noted, you can turn off
> duplicate matching but that would also match the repeats. However,
> you can try to create a custom rule to match just one showing of
> each new episode.

<snip>
> Rule Name: CSI [HD]
>
> program.title = 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation'
> AND program.previouslyshown = 0
> AND program.first > 0
> AND channel.callsign = 'WBZDT'
>
> This will only match the first upcoming showing of an episode
> that is within 14 days of it's original air date and is listed
> on chanid 1041 or 3784.
>
> Rule Name: CSI [SD]
>
> program.title = 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation'
> AND program.previouslyshown = 0
> AND program.first > 0
> AND channel.callsign = 'WBZ'
>
> The same except these are limited to chanid 3004 only.
>
> Set both rules to not match duplicates. for the WBZ version.
> choose your profile, priority for the SD version and I'd like
> to say preferred input on another host but it sounds like you
> just have one input for this video source.
>
> Title - Subtitle                    Chan ChID Day Start  End   C I  T
N   Pri
> CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - "L    8 1008  04 21:00-22:00  3 4  A
3   1/0
> CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - "L  128 2128  04 21:00-22:00  1 7  A
1   1/0

> Although I'd prefer to stay here, "Leaving Las Vegas" is
> scheduled on card 3 for "8 KLAS" and card 1 for "128 KLASDT".

Another great thing about MythTV is that people who *do* understand
these things -- often the people who wrote this stuff in the first place
-- are present and willing to answer questions, if you ask nicely and
they have time.  Thanks, Bruce, #4 looks workable -- I'll give it a try
tonight.

-Doug