[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 non-Recommendations

WJCarpenter bill-mythtv at carpenter.org
Sat Dec 23 22:02:39 UTC 2006

>> A popular thing to slow down disk drives is to have bad defaults for hdparm.  I think this

> 	How is Ubuntu in this respect?

It so happens that I recently upgraded that Debian Sarge box to Ubuntu server 6.10 (Edgy Eft).
 It was already using my best UDMA mode.  The only thing missing was multisector reads, which
were not enabled.

FWIW, these are run of the mill 1-2 year old Maxtor Ultra ATA drives.  Measuring with "hdparm
-T -t" on a quiet system, with Debian Sarge defaults, I got about 15 MB/sec.  With Unbuntu
Edgy defaults, I got about 50 MB/sec.  After turning on multisector, I got 55-58 MB/sec.

(I assume hdparm reports in megabytes, so multiply x8 to compare to other numbers in this
thread.)