[mythtv-users] mythtv hard lockup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 21 02:02:04 UTC 2006

David Rees wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> I've also recently experienced the frontend becoming completely
>> unresponsive. I can ssh in, but can't kill -9 the process. Even a
>> reboot fails. I have to hit the reset button to get the machine back.
>
> That failure mode suggests an X/Nvidia problem to me, especially if
> you are using OpenGL in your themes... can you confirm?
I am not using OpenGl but I sometimes get frontend lockups if I attempt
too many changes/presses on the remote. Particularly dangerous is
attempting to go from rewind to forward, pr vice versa following an
overshoot. The frontend locks solidly. NOTHING works, except the backend
will happily continue to record programs and later examination shows
that commflagging has run etc. etc...but it will be in the same state in
the morning and only a 'big red switch' reboot will kill it. And the log
shows NOTHING.

I think that a race condition is triggered, as was discusse on the dev
list recently. I think some code was patched in, but I am not sure of
that, nor have I had a chance to see if the condition can now be
replicated. I am on SVn 12265 IIRC... (Ohhh goody, I get to hit myself
over the head trying to break it... My head that is!/

Geoff