[mythtv-users] Weird Files with HVR-950 and recorded OTA DTV

Norris, Brent Brent.Norris at Edmonson.kyschools.us
Wed Dec 20 15:50:22 UTC 2006

I have recently installed a HVR-950 on my myth box that also has a
PVR-500MCE in it.  Previously the PVR-500 recorded everything fine and it
still does.  I am finding that the HVR-950 seems to record OK (though
sometimes they seem to lack sound), but when I open the files with anything
they are all screwy.

My standard frontend that I run is the xbmcmythtv scripts on XBMC
(obviously).  It will play the files, but it shows them as being really odd
lengths (like 56 hours long) and if I attempt to skip back in them the
playback ends.  Well that is understandable I guess, I mean that isn't the
default frontend for mythtv so no worries.

When I try to open them in mythfrontend though it will typically play about
5 seconds of video and then crash with an "error while attempting to display
video" type error.  The interesting thing is that it too shows funky times
for the videos.

I am not sure what I should do here.  I mean it seems like the indexs on the
files are messed up or something, but I had read that mythtranscode wasn't
really going to do anything for me, and actually it is supposed to run that
on the files after they finish anyway (because I have autotranscode
enabled).

I see this a lot in my /var/log/messages

Dec 14 17:57:08 Diablo kernel: ================================
Dec 14 17:57:08 Diablo kernel: FIXME: Write failed, backtrace:
Dec 14 17:57:08 Diablo kernel: ===============================
Dec 14 17:57:08 Diablo kernel: 00 00 b6 50
Dec 14 17:57:08 Diablo kernel: ================================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: FIXME: Write failed, backtrace:
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: ===============================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: a0 00 00 00
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: ================================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: FIXME: Write failed, backtrace:
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: ===============================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: ================================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: FIXME: Write failed, backtrace:
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: ===============================
Dec 14 17:57:09 Diablo kernel: 00 8c

When a recording is going on, but the recording seems to be ok when I watch
it.  Is this a problem with the device or something to be expected from
mythtv?

I poked around on the list some looking for information on this, but didn't
really find it.  If someone has links to conversations or documents on it, I
would love to take a look at them.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Brent Norris