[mythtv-users] Is this hardware sufficient?

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 16:07:42 UTC 2006

Jesse Dhillon wrote:
> In your considered opinions, should this hardware be sufficient to
> support a backend/frontend plus one remote frontend, both watching HDTV:
>
> CPU: AMD Athlon64 3200+
> RAM: 1GB
> Motherboard: nForce3 chipset, DFI LanParty nf3 250GB
> Video: Nvidia Geforce 6800GT 512MB
> HDD: Maxtor 500GB SATA, Maxtor 250GB SATA
> Tuners: 2x pcHDTV 5500
> Linux: Ubuntu Edgy 6.10, amd64 kernel

In my opinion based on what I've seen and heard, you will most likely
need XVMC working on the nvidia card (jsut XV probably isn't enough).
Without xvmc I'm betting that processor won't handle it.
Like another poster said, I have a 3200+ in my windows machine and it
can handle HD with one hand tied behind its back (mainly working with
720p, haven't tried 1080i much, but that should be no problem).  But the
main reason for this is that the graphics drivers in windows do a lot of
the heavy lifting.  So, if you get xvmc working properly it's worth a
try.  You already have the hardware anyway so give it a go.
Also, watching HD on a remote frontend won't put a heavy load on your
BE.  The FE will again need to be powerful enough to decode HD.  If the
BE isn't watching at the same time, the only load is the power it takes
to record.  Of course, I don't use HD in myth so I don't know if the
load required to record is huge or not.
Raphael