[mythtv-users] mythtv hard lockup

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 18 19:31:09 UTC 2006

On Dec 18, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Jesse Dhillon wrote:

> Does the computer ever lockup for anyone else? Every once in a while
> myth will cause my computer to freeze hard: all shells die, no
> input is
> processed, and the CPU fan kicks in suggesting that the usage is
> spiking. The only thing that will illicit a response is a ping.
>
> This happens when doing seemingly mundane stuff; setting a recording,
> browing channels, other normal activity. It only happens in the TV
> watching module. Is there any way to diagnose this? I am pretty sure
> it's not a hardware problem but I'm willing to entertain the idea.
> I am
> able to deal with this but I am not the only user of the TV and I
> can't
> offer a solution for this house that randomly requires rebooting,
> fscking, and mysql database repair. Suggestions?
>
> Jesse.

My machine doesn't lock, but I've had the experience of my backend
"going away", but the process is still present and running. No
frontend can connect to it. Mysql is running, backend is running.
I've also recently experienced the frontend becoming completely
unresponsive. I can ssh in, but can't kill -9 the process. Even a
reboot fails. I have to hit the reset button to get the machine back.
Happens about once every 3-4 days but don't have the opportunity to
troubleshoot so I jut live with it and hope someone else has the time
to figure out what's wrong and fix it. :)