[mythtv-users] rf keyboards

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Mon Dec 18 12:14:47 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 3:13 AM, Mr. Demeanour wrote:
>
>> Bob Sully wrote:
>>> I just picked up an Adesso WKB-4000US.  Works fine with Linux; RF
>>> USB keyboard with integrated touch screen
>> A keyboard with an integrated screen? A touchscreen at that? Not
>> bad for 85USD...
>>

> I'd bet he means "touch pad" :-)
>
> Since everyone's mentioning their favorite, I'm using a "Gyration" RF
>  keyboard and mouse. The mouse is interesting in that you can wave it
>  in the air without having to place it on a surface to operate
> (though it will work that way as well).

I used to have one of those. Initially I liked it a lot; the RF range
was exceptional, and the devices both worked well. I found the wavey bit
with the mouse very hard to use with any accuracy. I don't think it's
really much use for anything more demanding than waving in the general
direction of the screen during a powerpoint presentation; but it's a
neat feature for showing-off with.

I also found that the keyboard and/or mouse had a tendency to get
"off-message" as regards the RF channel they were supposed to be using,
and that resyncing them with the receiver was sometimes difficult.

One of the (too many) mouse-buttons eventually suffered a mechanical
failure, rendering the mouse unserviceable; this occurred only a year
after I purchased the stuff, which I think is too early for
wear-and-tear problems to be showing up. And a short while later an
incident involving coffee resulted in progressive degradation of the
keyboard.

The outfit was duly retired and not replaced.
--
Jack.