[mythtv-users] Sound issues with the pcHDTV 5500 analog tuner

Jesse Dhillon tobor at berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 16 19:48:51 UTC 2006

> If I try to scan channels with the v4l subdevice, it only offers "full
> scan" as an option, with no frequency options or anything else.  Clicking
> on "next" results in ...nothing.  It goes to the next screen, but there's
> no attempt to scan anything.

This describes exactly what happens to me when I add the analog tuner as
a separate card. I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work for you. There
is one area where we may differ: I downloaded and compiled the dvb-v4l
drivers from the pchdtv.com download section.
> If I try to scan the lower channels under the dvb device (QAM-256), it
> does attempt to scan the low channels, it sees a signal (the signal/noise
> bar goes almost all the way to the right), but it times out on each
> channel attempted, until it gets to the higher-order digital channels.  If
> I try to do it with VSB-8, it doesn't see a signal.  QAM-64 behaves the
> same as 256 with the analog channels.

I have a similar experience. VSB8 gives nothing because that is the
modulation scheme used for signals from an antenna. QAM256 only finds
channels in the high range of the scan.

> If anyone can give me a clue as to which parameter(s) I may have
> misconfigured, I'd really appreciate it.
>

> BTW - most of the unenecrypted QAM-256 channels I do receive give me a
> nice clean watchable stream (including the five unencrypted HD channels).
> There are a few, however, that are very poor quality, with
> choppy/pixellated video and choppy audio.  Any reason why this would
> happen on only a few streams?

This was my experience too. Of course, I don't get the encrypted
channels like ESPNHD or TNTHD, but I am getting all the other HD
channels that are indicated by my zap2it lineup. I don't worry too much
about the other ones, just chalk it up to flaky Comcast.