[mythtv-users] Freeview channels on UK Sky Dish. FTA vs FTV? CAM required?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 16 03:35:38 UTC 2006

On 15 Dec 2006, at 20:23, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:31:15PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that the BBC channels are "free to air" (FTA) and
>> unencrypted and that these can be accessed using a Hauppage Nova-s
>> DVB-S PCI card and Sky dish. I think that's what this chap <http://
>> tinyurl.com/yza9yt> is doing.
>
> Have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html
(your updated link)

Could I ask for just a little help translating this, please?

Am I right in thinking that all the free-to-air channels are those
with a pale-yellow background colour?
(<td bgcolor="#ffffd0">)

Because this covers all the BBCs, all the ITVs and a bunch of other
rubbish. Film 4 is a free-to-air channel? I remember when it started
up it was the one channel I considered paying a subscription for!!

And that the table makes no distinction between subscription & free-
to-view channels? Both are listed as encrypted with a pale-brick
background colour?
(<td bgcolor="#ffd0a0">)
This covers all the Sky channels, sports, filth & some other rubbish.

I had the impression there were only a handful of free-to-air
channels, and substantially more free-to-view channels. This is
supported by the previous post I referred to:
    Here in the UK, there are about 25 True TFA channels broadcasted
    over satellite, however with a one off payment (of about L19.00),
    one can buy a card which allows access to about 200 channels, with
    no subscription.   <http://tinyurl.com/uus39>

Cheers,

Stroller.