[mythtv-users] HDTV HW requirements

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Thu Dec 14 17:30:07 UTC 2006

Sorry if you have already received 1000 replies by now.

> I am thinking about moving into the HDTV area with my myth box.  I
> know that recording HD is simple becuase it is already digital.
> Playing back is the CPU intensive part.

Correct.

> AMD 2.0Ghz
> 512mb RAM
> nVidia 6600GT w/128mb
> Projector connected via component 720p

This setup is highly unlikely to work well unless your "AMD 2.0 Ghz"
is a dual core.  I strongly recommend at least an x2 3800.  X and Myth
are both extremely busy, and if you are outputting to 720p and playing
1080i content, you will want to use Bob 2x deinterlacing - which is
quite CPU intensive.

I had a 3500+ which _almost_ was fast enough, but there were still
enough frame drops to make 60 fps content too annoying to watch.
Moving to an x2 3800 cleared up the problem.

Mark