[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 06:17:12 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> I'd highly recommend running MEMTEST86 and checking for bad RAM, too.
> I've seen some pretty bizarre problems that turned out to be defective RAM.
> http://www.memtest86.com/

I have done all of that.  This hard-locking problem plagued me a while
ago and I did everything to track it down.  Back then, I swapped the
graphics card out for another, tested, removed, swapped and retested
the memory and finally got much better stability with a different PSU,
though it still locked up on the odd occasion.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a new HDD, and the PC wouldn't even
startup.  The fans would start to spin but then it all died pretty
instantly.  I swapped back to the older PSU, which meant I could
start, but I have seen increased flakeyness again.

This PC was only meant to be a prototype for mythTV.  I paid AU$395
for the whole new PC a couple of years ago, so the components really
are cheap.  The mobo is a Jetway, which is not one that I would
consider to be a premium brand.  I will likely go down the route of
replacing the mobo, CPU and memory in the next couple of months, but
if I do that, I will want to replace the PSU then too.  In the
meantime (and considering that it is Christmas and money is tight), I
am hoping to get increased stability from this new PSU.  If I don't
get the increased stability, I will have to spend the money sooner
than hoped, but the new PSU will not be money wasted (IMO).

Thanks for all the help though guys.  It sounds like my 450W PSU
should be plenty powerful enough, without going to far OTT.

Cheers,
Whytey