[mythtv-users] A few questions (Directv, lirc priority)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Dec 13 18:19:28 UTC 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Davey McWatters wrote:

> Reading some information about using directv has me a little
> confused as
> to how it works. The thing that has me confused is if you have several
> directv stb's. Now if you have lets say 4 for example, and you want to
> use a serial connection to the box to change the channel and such, is
> there a way to do this that I am not seeing? Or can you only control 1
> box via serial since most computers only have 1 serial port. So my
> question is, how can you control more than 1 directv box individually
> from a single backend?

Add more serial ports.
It has been suggested that you might be able to use a USB->Serial
adaptor to add a serial port but I don't know of anyone who has
successfully done this to control a DirecTV box.

> Relating to the above question, what if you have multiple frontends
> controlling a backend with multiple tuners without any STBs, just
> standard analog cable. Do most people just make an IR receiver for
> their
> front ends or am I missing something?

Yes. Or a keyboard, wireless keyboard, whatever their control device
of choice is. It has no relation to what's on the backend.

> Finally, my next question involves lirc client application priority.
> What determines which application has priority over the remote control
> button presses? For example, if I have irexec, xine, and mythfrontend
> all running, is it simply the application with focus that has
> priority?

Someone else will have to answer that one.