[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 04:19:49 UTC 2006

On 13/12/06, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having a flakey backend is becoming annoying so I am looking at a bit
> of a rebuild.
>
> I am starting with the power supply, since the one I have came with
> the nasty case and is probably very dodgy.  The problem is, I want to
> make certain I have enough power available without going to excessive
> and 'hurting the planet'.  (Though I am not sure whether the extra
> wattage is only used when needed).
>
> I have a Sempron 2400 CPU,
> 1x 512 MB and 1 x 256 MB RAM,
> 1x DVD Burner,
> 3 x DVB-T Tuner cards, and
> 3x IDE type HDD's.
>
> The PSU is currently 400W, but I don't mind going bigger for my new one.

I'm very happy with my Seasonic S12 430W. See here for my backend spec
and a useful thread:

My A64 3000+ CPU runs at 1GHz almost all of the time using the
powernow_k8 module, which helps to keep heat (and some electricity
usage) down further (machine is on 24/7). I'd always compare the
efficiency of any PSUs you are interested in and check QuietPC and
SilentPCReview for test results/opinions.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/