[mythtv-users] Help Using Linksys router and OpenWRT to, wakeup my Myth box

McNally mcnallychris at pobox.com
Wed Dec 13 02:14:35 UTC 2006

>Thanks for writing this down. I may very well try this out soon on my WRT54GL.
>
>It looks like there was a few typos with the numbers in the section
>"Setting up the MythTV Backend". I tried to make them match the
>screenshot...
>

>Thanks,
>Antoine
>
>PS: a thought just occured to me: does WoL works with wireless?

The short answer is no, I don't think the wireless card would have
enough power. But that *is* how I do it. My Myth box connects wirelessly
(is that a word?).

What I did was get a second Linksys WRT54G and flashed it to OpenWRT. I
set up something called WDS, in which the second router connects to the
primary router via 802.11g,  and acts like a bridge, supplying 4
ethernet ports and acts as a wireless access point/bridge. So the Myth
box is connected to the 2nd router with a cable. The main router has the
the cron job and sends the WOL packet. So the WOL is technically sent
over the air, but then converted into ethernet by the second router.

The only downside is that I have an extra Linksys in my living room.
However there are benefits. There is no cable modem in the living room,
no splitting of the coax for modem and TV,  I can use WOL  and I find
now that I have more locations in my Apt where a front end on 802.11g is
usable.

I only found out about OpenWRT recently and I am very impressed. Myth
and OpenWRT are great Open Source tools.  Perhaps not ready for out of
the box use by  the general public, but so much more powerful than
proprietary software for someone with some technical know how.

The WDS setup is done in two easy steps. The link is here:

 http://wiki.openwrt.org/Faq?action=show&redirect=WDSBridgingHowto#head-406c1a12b7ce715f9c22f06b2d2a3304d9a260d8