[mythtv-users] upnp pictures of screens

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 00:00:35 UTC 2006

On 12/11/06, Allan Wilson <allanwilson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone take pictures of what it looks like using myth on their upnp
> devices. I am thinking about getting either the D-Link DSM-520<http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=438>or the I-O
> DATA LinkPlayer2<http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&ts=2&tsc=11&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2%2FDVDLA>but I was wondering what it actually looks like when you are using it. You
> can email me off list if you need to attach pictures and I will try to post
> them to the Article on the wiki. Also if you are using it with hidef how is
> that going? Thanks
>
> Allan

I did hear back from Leigh and they where kind enough to send pictures from
his Avel LinkPlayer2. They are kinda hard to see but you can get the idea.
He was a new user and didn't know how to post to the list so I am going to
include the message that he sent to me talking about his experience with
both the DSM-520 and the LinkPlayer2. You can see the images that he sent of
the LinkPlayer2 screens
here<http://www.flickr.com/photos/81546799@N00/tags/linkplayer2/>or I
also added them to teh UPnP wiki article
here <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/UPnP>(look at the bottom of the
article).

I have purchased and used both the linkplayer2 and the dsm-520.  They both
have different strengths and weaknesses.

In regards to high-definition, the dsm-520 gave me numerous problems with
when using mythtv as the upnp server.  First, fast-forward and rewind did
not work very well.  It fast-forwarded at just slightly over 1x, and it was
common for the audio to get out of sync.  Second, two of my local hdtv
channels appeared to have too high bit rate (~17Mbps) and high-definition
programs on those channels would not play back without audio / video
stuttering.  Third, no high-definition program would play back longer than
40 minutes.  A half-hour high-definition show would not pose any problems,
however, an hour long recording would stop after 40 minutes.

The dsm-520 worked really well using upnp for for non high-definition
programming.  Fast-forward and rewind worked well, etc.

Because of my problems with the dsm-520, I decided to get a linkplayer2.
Unfortunately, the results were not been much better when using mythtv as
the upnp server.  Fast-forward and rewind did not work properly (it skips
ahead about 30 seconds and pauses).  However, the audio and video seems to
stay in sink, and I am not having any problems with high bit rate channels.

I have since tried various upnp servers to stream high-definition recordings
to my linkplayer2 (I never tried this on my dsm-520 so the results may be
the same).  Ushare, wizd (syabas firmware only) and twonkyvision all stream
hdtv recordings to my linkplayer2 properly.  In addition, fast-forward and
rewind work.

My suggestion is that if you want to playback high-definition right now, you
should not use mythtv's upnp server.  Instead, use mythrename.pl and stream
the recordings with a different upnp server.  If you choose to use an
alternate server, this will expand the upnp devices that you may want to
consider and there may well be a better device on the market than either the
dsm-520 and the linkplayer2.

Please if anyone else has one of these out there and can take pics and pass
on your experiences it would help me greatly trying to make and educated
purchasing decision. Thanks

Allan