[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 Recommendations

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Tue Dec 12 20:09:25 UTC 2006

Blammo wrote:
> I own (2) 3ware cards now, and they are easily the best money I ever
> spent on myth.

I concur.  My 8 port SATA 3ware card may have been expensive, but I
balanced that by being able to use an old PIII-800 board that was lying
around unused, with no performance penalty whatsoever.  The card handles
all the RAID duty, and all the box has left to do is serve the data up
(it does nothing but act as a SAMBA server, no backend, no web, nothing
else - sort of like a NAS box, but at the time about half the price than
anything else in the 1.5TB range).  I can't pump data in or out at 100MB
faster than it can handle.  Not sure if I could at 1000MB, but if I need
to, I now have a 2.4G P4 spare which wouldn't even hiccup.

Jeff.
--
I haven't smoked for 3 months, 3 weeks and 4 days,
saving $529.65 and not smoking 3,531.03 cigarettes.