[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:10:59 UTC 2006

devsk wrote:
> >As long as you're talking about socket 939 chips have a look at the
> Opteron 165 for about $150.
>
> oh, yeah absolutely! If you are into fiddling with OC, opteron is the
> way to go (the OEM clock is at 1.8Ghz for 165 and at 2.0Ghz for 3800
> X2, if the OP needs that info). Although I have seen people OCing
> their X2 3800 to 2.8 Ghz, opteron will beat it for a few bucks (around
> 25$) more and less headache with increased vcore and special cooling.
> Also, you have to find a good mobo and memory to get the max OC, which
> might add to your cost.

Have to say Corsair Value select has been pretty good for me as far as
overclocking goes.  They make tons of overclocking types of RAM for tons
of money, but the value select RAM itself is great, but make sure to get
the cas2.5 kind (they also have cas3 value select for the same price
most places).
I wasn't expecting to be able to overclock with "value" memory; take it
with a grain of salt though, because maybe I just got lucky.
Raphael