[mythtv-users] getting myth to read sound from /dev/dsp1

eric millham emillham at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:18:34 UTC 2006

> > I am running myth
> > 0.20_p11626<http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?mythtv-0.20_p11626>in
> > gentoo. My tuner card is a Plextor USB. Using the WIS supplied
> > application gorecord the card works fine and reads sound from /dev/dsp1.
> > input /dev/dsp1 in mythtv-setup and verified it stuck (for some reason
> it
> > took a few tries) by looking in the database. However, live tv plays no
> > sound and the log shows an error from OSS not able to open /dev/dsp. How
> can
> > I tell Myth to *really* use /dev/dsp1?

I'm running with two Plextor tuners and didn't have any problems getting
> > /dev/dsp1 to work using the standard mythsetup approach. One thought -
> > could you have more than one tuner defined and you're not getting the
> > one
> > you think?
> >
> > I'm running mythtv 0.20 as it was released so I suppose there is a
> > chance
> > that there is some regression here.
> >
> > Later,
> > Dale

Dale, I only have 1 tuner and it's a new myth install. gorecord reports it
is reading from /dev/dsp1 so I'm sure that's right. Myth just does not seem
to use what I configured in mythsetup. It almost seems like /dev/dsp is
hardcoded somewhere. Is anyone else using this version of myth and getting
/dev/dsp1 to work?

Thanks!