[mythtv-users] HDTV HW requirements

Mitchell Gore mitchell2345 at msn.com
Sat Dec 9 05:38:02 UTC 2006

> From: myth at dermanouelian.com
> Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:00:58 -0800
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDTV HW requirements
>
> On Dec 8, 2006, at 8:27 PM, Mitchell Gore wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am thinking about moving into the HDTV area with my myth box.  I
> > know that recording HD is simple becuase it is already digital.
> > Playing back is the CPU intensive part.
> >
> > I had someone send me a 10min HD Mpeg with there myth box.  If my
> > comp can play this file am i safe assuming I can use the ATSC card.
> >
> > here is what my setup is.
> >
> > AMD 2.0Ghz
> > 512mb RAM
> > nVidia 6600GT w/128mb
> > Projector connected via component 720p
> > PVR-150MCE
> >
> > I know i will for sure need XvMC enabled.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mitchell
>
> There's a great chart which shows example systems and how much CPU
> usage it takes to display SD and HD content on the wiki. It should
> help decide if your system is capable of not.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Example_CPU_Savings

is playing the file in the video player the same as playing as a recorder.  Basically does watching a recording just use mplayer?

If not how could i test it using the video player that the recordings section uses.

I ask this becuase turning XvMC on and off doesnt see to make much differance.

Thanks,
mitchell