[mythtv-users] apt-get mythtv (installing on Debian)

John nesredep at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:23:09 UTC 2006

I ran into a snag; I thought I would mention it here for people installing
with Debian apt-get.

Specifically, I'm using Mepis 6, which uses the Ubuntu repositories, and the
mythtv version in there is 18.1

I was having trouble setting up mythtv so I decided to totally reinstall
everything, to get everything absolutely PURRFECT.

All my hours of Googling have impressed on me that I need to run as user
"mythtv" so I set up the system with "mythtv" as my only normal user (plus
root, of course).   BIG MISTAKE!!!  Turns out, when running apt-get mythtv,
the first package (mythtv-common, if memory serves) tries to CREATE the user
mythtv.  It finds that there already is such a user, and fails.  Every
subsequent package then fails.

Dunno if subsequent mythtv versions handle a pre-existing mythtv user more
gracefully, but that's what happens with 18.1

John