[mythtv-users] IVTV 0.8.1 and PVR 500 with new Samsung tuners

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 7 17:54:18 UTC 2006

John Drescher wrote:
>>  I have not gotten decent quality from my PVR 500, so II have not been using
>> my box and have not seen this glitch issue.  I have not hear a definitive
>> response that the quality issue has been fixed in the recent drivers.  If
>> anything, it looks like other problems are popping up.
>
> No the herringbone (diagonal lines in one or both directions) pattern
> problem has not been fixed in the drivers because this is either a
> problem with the hardware or there is some unknown way to turn down
> the level of amplification of the LNA on the board.

Someone else suggested that attenuating the signal would get it running right.
 I've hesitated to try that since my problems in the past (with cable TV in
general, not with MythTV or the capture cards it uses) have usually been
too-weak signals, but if there's an amp on the PVR-500 that's overloading on
too strong a signal, maybe there's something to the idea of attenuating the
signal to get it to display and record properly.  Feeding the signal to the
PVR-500 through a 2, 3, or 4-way splitter yields attenuation of 3, 5, and 7 dB
respectively (you probably want to get (or make) terminators to put on the
unused outputs).  If the LNA's gain level is known, you could chain together
the appropriate number and type of splitters to cancel it out.

(I already have a 2-way splitter to also feed signal to an A180, but 3 dB isn't
enough attenuation.)

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter