[mythtv-users] Myth and Western Australia daylight saving time.

Mark Hetherington mark at hethos.org
Thu Dec 7 10:24:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 07 December 2006 17:32, Johan Venter wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > I found (in MythWebs config page) a time setting that is at +800 - I'll
> > fiddle with this later tonight and see if that fixes things.  It might
> > be a leftover from 0.18 where the auto timezone detection didnt always
> > work well.  0.20's configuration seems to have lost the manual settings
> > (or I cant find it in the Myth GUI)  This is an upgrade early
> > 0.18->0.19->0.20 using gentoo's ~x86 packages so there is likely to be
> > some cruft like this.
>
> Surely this is just a guide data problem?
>
> For instance here in Queensland I had to tell my tv_grab_au script to
> remove an hour from every time when DST took effect in NSW as my guide
> was also one hour out.
>
> It can't be Myth's or Linux's problem if the data your populating the
> database with is just plain wrong.
>
> Johan.

Not exactly. The guide data should represent which timezone it is from, so you
can adjust accordingly. Using the (updated for perth) timezone info allows
myth to know what adjustment needs to be made. On my system, the daylight
savings changeover is automatic, and I don't have to fudge the guide data.
The guide data might change to daylight savings too, or it might be in
universal time..... Either way, as long as it correctly reports the time, and
timezone, you can convert it to universal time, and/or local time. A lot of
the guide data out there doesn't correctly report the timezone, so
myths "auto" mode doesn't work, forcing you to specify the time offset.

Mark