[mythtv-users] Have you switched from Tivo to MythTV?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:59:14 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Mike Dent wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > have you moved from a Tivo system to MythTV? If so how are you
> > finding it in
> > comparison? More importantly how is your significant other finding
> > it!?
> > Thanks
> > Mike

Thanks for all the great replies so far!

I should probably said that I already have a Tivo, its a version 1 box
I think, the only
ones which were available in the UK maybe 4 years ago when I got it.

However it's one of those things where we keep saying "what the hell
will we ever do if the Tivo breaks down" !
Which is what got me started about 18 months or more ago trying to
get a working MythTV system together.

At that time I failed, but recently I put together a test box based on
Ubuntu in an evening! That apt-get stuff and Ubuntu and the packages
and great instructions
make it almost *too* easy these days!

Anyway I have ordered the kit for a new box, twin tuners, Athlon 64,
200gb disk etc
which should all be here tomorrow. However I expect it will be a few
weeks before I have managed to get it ready to move in to the lounge
to  take the place of the Tivo!

It's interesting to hear I might be able to keep using my Tivo remote to control
Myth, that will make it slightly easier to come to terms with for my wife!

One thing I am looking forward too though is the ability to run Myth
front end on our 2 Xboxes, which are in are two sons rooms. I assume
this means they can even schedule their own recordings and of course
watch previously recorded stuff, which was not possible with the Tivo.
And I'm looking forward to getting caller display from the phones,
using Asterisk, displaying in a nice big font on the TV when somebody
calls!

Bring it on!

Mike