[mythtv-users] capture card for DirecTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 4 21:19:56 UTC 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Jeremy Tietsort wrote:

> Alright, so here is what I've spec'd out so far.  Anyone see any
> glaring problems before I make the call?
>
> Video: 3DFORCE FX5200TV GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
>
> Disk Controller: PROMISE SATA300 TX4 PCI SATA II 4-Port Adapter
>
> CPU: AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 2.0GHz Socket 754
>
> Memory: Crucial 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
>
> Disks: 2 - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
> 3.0Gb/s
>
> Mobo: Asus K8V-X SE
>
> Capture card: Hauppauge 980 ( WinTV-PVR-250 )
>

> Thanks again....

You're going to need a way for MythTV to change the channel on your
DirecTV box with either an irblaster or null modem between the myth
box and the STB. (STB may require a USB->Serial adaptor depending on
your box).

Also, if you plan on only doing Standard Def, this looks good but if
you want to upgrade to HD at some point, you will want to consider a
faster processor. (Dual core is especially good for HD since one core
can be used for the mythfrontend and the other for X to keep up with
the high demands on HDTV.)