[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:44:29 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:

> Even for the total newbies, we're still all geeks to
> some degree or another, and everyone knows that geeks don't read any
> more of the documentation than they have to, which is "How do I install"
> to begin with and "Bugs" when something goes wrong.  "Feature Wishlist"
> isn't something to read before starting, and doesn't even enter into the
> equation when someone runs into this issue.

Probably true.  But you'd think that "geeks" would at least search the
mailing-list archives before posting a question to that mailing-list.  Given
that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum (repeatedly) I can't see any
possible way that a halfway intelligently crafted search of the archives
wouldn't turn up several of those threads.  In fact, I just now went to the
gossamer archive and searched on "channel change slow".  That got me 12
pages of results, at least half of which are applicable to this exact
discussion.  You can't tell me that it's unreasonable for a new user with
slow channel changing problems to go to the mailing list archive and type in
that exact search phrase before issuing a new request to the list for that
problem.

And that is, at least partly, why users are often greeted with
anger/impatience when they post questions like that to this list.  The fact
is that very, very many of them don't bother to do their own legwork and
look up info on the resources available to them.  It's so much easier to
just ask someone else.  Problem is, that someone else has probably already
answered that question many times - and their answers are in the archives
(that's what archives are for).  If you can't spend 10-15 minutes doing a
little research into the problem yourself you really can't be upset when you
get "yelled at" by the people that answer this question on a weekly basis.

Brad