[mythtv-users] transcoded DIVX nuv to avi

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Sat Dec 2 13:08:10 UTC 2006

On 12/1/06, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Chuck Peters <chuck.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have transcoded a number of shows I would like to put on a DVD.  The
> > transcoded files play fine in mplayer, but not gxine.  I then tried
> > converting them to avi containers with:
> > mencoder  -o 19970224-DS9-Dr.Bashir_I_Presume.avi -vf scale=-1:-1 -oac
> > copy -ovc copy -of avi /lvm/mythtv/store/1028_20061127135900.nuv
> >

> Have you tried using nuvexport? I use it with great success to move
> transcoded recordings (nuvs) to Xvid for permanent storage. Two-pass
> transcoding runs about 24 fps on my P4 2.5 machine, meaning a one hour
> show (with commercials stripped in the export via the Myth cutlist)
> takes about two hours to transcode.

Yes I have used nuvexport, but these files are already transcoded with
Myth's built in transcoder.  The time of about an hour per show on my
p4 2GHz and convenience factor of just starting the transcode after
making a cut list or automatically transcoding after recording is
easier I think.  The file size difference isn't all that great when
Myth's built in transcoder makes the show 720-800MB rather than the
700-740MB I was getting using nuvexport with a mencoder 2 pass
routine.

>  I haven't ever tried burning to DVD, but nuvexport supports a range
> of output formats. Or else MythArchive should be able to do what you
> want directly from the FE interface.

I tried MythArchive last night and it wasn't working, I probably have
some setting wrong.

Thanks,
Chuck