[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:57:16 UTC 2006

> Have you ever opened mplayer fed by a PVR-250 in one term window, and
> changed channels in another?  The channel changes are almost
> instantaneous, whereas changing channels within Myth takes on my system
> about 4 seconds.

oh, i didn't know that mplayer could do frame-exact seeking and
editing of video files.  or that it has it's own network streaming
protocol.  is mplayer also writing indexing information to a mysql
database as it records?

in my opinion, comparing mplayer and mythtv channel change speeds is
utterly rediculous, myth is doing A LOT more than just opening a new
file.

also, what is the objection to using browse mode or the program guide
to 'channel surf'?

in any case, after seeing this discussion many, many times i don't
think i've ever once seen the people complaining try to debug the
channel changing speed in any sort of useful or helpful manner.
obviously none of the devs care about this issue so people who do care
and are complaining are probably going to have to fix it themselves.

just doing a search on 'channel change speed' on gossamer makes it
pretty obvious that this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the
past.