[mythtv-users] Corrupt video file header?

Andrew Robinson awrobinson-ml at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 1 05:26:19 UTC 2006

Got a video file recorded with Mythtv 0.19 using a Hauppauge PVR-250.
Somehow the file header is corrupt. The file will play with mplayer and
xine. However, my favorite video editor, avidemux2, will not open the
file. Comparing the output of the 'file' command for this file with
another, I get these results:

$ file 1031_20061129210002.mpg
1031_20061129210002.mpg: data

$ file 1031_20061130220103.mpg
1031_20061130220103.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

The file recorded on the 29th is the one I'm having problems with. I
tried demuxing and remuxing the file with 'tcextract' and 'mplex' in
hopes that the remuxed file would have the correct header. 'tcextract'
seemed to work but 'mplex' did not recognize the m2p file.

Anyone know how I can restore the header on this file? I"m up for
editing bytes if that would work.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson