[mythtv-users] System Time runs fast for some reason

Paul Barker myth at sixtimesnine.net
Wed Aug 30 07:34:35 UTC 2006

chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:02:15PM -0600, Greg Schade wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 19:56 -0400, Jon Kunze wrote:
>>
>>> Everything is running great using .19.1, but for some reason the
>>> system clock seems to be running a bit fast.
>>>

>> went through the same problem myself for a while.  use "adjtimex"
>> http://linux.togaware.com/survivor/Using_adjtimex.html
>> then I added the command to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local allowing it to
>> adjust the clock at boot up
>> and I wrote a really simple script using "ntpdate" to check a time
>> server and put it in /etc/cron.hourly I named it sync-clock
>>

> If you're using ntpd you shouldn't need to use adjtimex as the
> daemon (if running properly) will automatically adjust your clock
> on a continual basis.  In fact, the adjtimex page you referenced
> specifically reccommends using ntpd instead of adjtimex.

In the Date & Time admin panel make sure that under advanced options on
the Network Time tab you have "Synchronize system clock before starting
service"  checked. Also make sure you're using some ntp servers which
actually respond. I had this problem on FC5 and a combination of
changing ntp servers and checking that box sorted it.

Cheers
Paul