[mythtv-users] Problems tunning channel 1

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 29 21:55:42 UTC 2006

On 08/29/2006 03:22 PM, Carl Fongheiser wrote:
>  On 8/29/06, Judd Tracy <judd.tracy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am having problems tuning in channel 1 on my myth box.  I have 2
> > tuners that are both hooked up to the same source and can tune
> > every channel except for channel 1.  Both tuners are Hauppauge
> > WinTV PVR-250 cards (cx23416 based) running under a single myth
> > backend using version 0.19.  When ever I try to record this channel
> > I only get static.
> >
> > The channel is WBCC (PBS) here in Orlando on BrightHouse networks
> > digital cable.  I have not been able to determine if this is a
> > digital channel, but everything I have found so far seems to
> > suggest that it should not be.  The freqid listed in the database
> > for this channel is 73250

That's close enough to correct for IRC.  The HRC frequency is 72004kHz.

However, I set up a Myth box for a friend in Rockledge, and he's using
the standard cable frequency allocations (not HRC nor IRC) and,
therefore, doesn't have channel 1 defined.  Since you're close by (and
also using Brighthouse), I checked their website (
http://apps.cfl.mybrighthouse.com/customercare/lineups/lineups.asp?lineupid=25
) to see if it were a digital-only channel and they show channel 1 as
the "Government Channel" being broadcast with their analog
package--which makes no sense since--as I mention below--channel 1 only
exists in HRC and IRC frequency tables and Brighthouse isn't using
them.  In Brevard, they also broadcast the same channel on channel 99.
Unfortunately for Orange County (
http://apps.cfl.mybrighthouse.com/customercare/lineups/lineups.asp?lineupid=36
), WBCC only exists on channel 1 (and channel 99 is the "Government
Channel").

Then again, it's a cable company, so they may do it their own way (who
needs standards, after all).  If they "extended" the standard
frequencies to include a channel 1, it would be either 73250kHz (+6MHz
from channel 4) or 71250kHz (-6MHz from channel 5) or 72250kHz if you
split the difference.  However, there's technically not enough room for
a channel in there (so it--and channels 4 and 5--would likely suffer
from interference), but it's worth a try--you may as well check all of
those frequencies.

> > and I have tried to manually tune the
> > channel using ivtv-tune and capturing the stream from the device,
> > but with no luck.
> >
> > If anybody knows what is causing my problems and hopefully a
> > solution I would appreciate it.
>
>  There's no such thing as channel 1 in North America, so anything that
>  the digital cable box is displaying as channel 1 is something else.
>  If you've got a cable-ready TV handy, you can plug your cable into
>  that, and see if it's there as an analog channel.  (It won't be
>  channel 1, though!)

That's true if you're talking about US Cable's standard frequency
allocation; however, the HRC and IRC frequency tables do define a
channel 1.  The weird thing, though, is that I don't think Brighthouse
Orlando is using either HRC or IRC.

Mike