[mythtv-users] All those cables

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 20:30:56 UTC 2006

On 8/29/06, Rick Smith <rick_t_smith at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I wondered if any one had a good scheme for managing the cables needed
> for even a modest myth setup.  How do you avoid the endless hours of fun
> tracing the wires when the machine moves just a couple of inches?  How
> do you stop cables getting pulled and loosened?

- Go buy velcro cable management straps, UPS/power strip, and cable
ties (labels too if you're obsessed)
- Use some piece of furniture/TV stand where you can close the front
and hide your MythTV system under the TV
- Unplug everything and uncable everything
- Connect cables one by one to your box taking care to keep them
separated from each other
- put velcro ties around cable bundle at server so that you can still
attach/detach all cables and have a little bit of wiggle room
- Put more cable ties or velcro ties every few feet.
- Coil extra cable lengths at the end and tie individually
- Make sure that you have enought cable slack to pull your server out
and open it up if necessary without unplugging everything.
- Hide cable bundle and any other cable "rat's nest" behind or under TV stand

-Ross