[mythtv-users] MPEG-2 (DVB) to MPEG4 transcode - subtitles lost

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Tue Aug 29 14:54:31 UTC 2006

I upgraded my 0.19-fixes (atrpms) install to SVN trunk a couple of days
ago, and must say I'm quite happy how it looks. In particular:

* nothing I use regularly seems to have broken :)

* being able to select Subtitles in the on-screen menu instead of
toggling through Closed Captions works well, since my DVB signal doesn't
have the latter but does have the former.

* being able to select the transcoding profile to use when manually
transcoding a show is nice

* built-in DVD player works great. Besides menu support and level of
integration (no extra programs needed), I particularly appreciate having
the same on-screen menus in the DVD playback as well (timestretching DVD
movies is one of those relatively low value but fun little items :)

* OpenGL menus show potential, even though their utilisation in the
MythCenter-wide theme I'm using is fairly limited at this point. Any
recommendations for a particularly flashy theme or settings?

* finally, and perhaps most valuable to me, is that the mythtranscode
bugs which plagued me through the entire 0.19-fixes lifecycle (runaway
transcoder eating all memory + swap and "green screen" corrupted
transcodes as the two primary issues) seem to have gone away - a bit too
early to say for sure, but I'm hopeful.

Now that it seems I could trust transcode once again, another item
becomes more desirable: it seems to me that the transcoder currently
strips away DVB subtitle streams, at least in the MPEG2->MPEG4 transcode
(haven't yet tested lossless MPEG2->MPEG2 for this). Am I missing
something, or is this an item that deserves a wishlist entry or a Trac
ticket?

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>    http://www.fishpool.org