[mythtv-users] ext3fs for recordings file system when using slow deletes

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:06:50 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Rudy Zijlstra <mythtv at edsons.demon.nl> wrote:
> Cameron Watt wrote:
>
> >     I'd be interested in the answer to this too as I keep getting system
> >     lock ups. I hadn't realised it could be due to using the xfs file
> >     system. Did you get an answer?
> >

> > No definitive answer. But I have been lurking on the mailing list for
> > a while now, there seems to have been a few people with "odd" lockup
> > issues and the ones I have seen have been uising xfs and/or lvm.
> > Nothing more scientific than that. Can't hurt to use ext3 if
> > performance is OK with the incremental deletes as I have 3 DVB-T cards
> > that are often recording simultaneously while watching a previous
> > recording. As I have bought a new 320G drive (i already have 2x250G
> > drives) I think I will just go with ext3 and see how I go.
> >
> > Like a couple of others having issues I found that deleting a lot of
> > "filler" recordings helped with the situation, maximising free space.
> > At the moment I have limited the recording schedule and try to watch
> > recordings as soon as possible, then delete the recordings.
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> I'm using XFS over SW raid5 (> 1Tb), and have no problems. total of 6
> tuners (4 analog, 2 DVB-S) with multiple FE, and no problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rudy

Similar to Rudy, I'm using XFS with SW RAID10 (4 drives, 600MB), and
previously had it as RAID5 (but it wasn't fast enough), and have had
no problems. 3 HD tuners and a PVR150.

I do run the XFS check/optimize apps "nightly"(4am) to keep the health
of the partition up, though I only recently started doing this and
only to be safe, I hadn't had issues before.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!