[mythtv-users] Dual DVB-S Receiver Capable of using CI / CAM module

Matthias Thyroff lists at Thyroff.net
Mon Aug 28 08:10:45 UTC 2006

Am Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:34:56 +0100 (BST)
schrieb Steve Hill <steve at nexusuk.org>:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, James Buckley wrote:
>
> > or I buy 2 "Technotrend S2-3200 HDTV-S2 incl. Remote" Which might
> > future proof (dangerous phrase!) me for if and when they start
> > broadcasting free satellite HDTV
>
> You should be able to get the HDTV signals on any DVB-S card - the
> card itself doesn't know or care what type of data is in the
> transport stream. I can certainly receive BBC-HD through my Nova-S
> (not that I have a machine powerful enough to decode the BBC's H.264
> stream in real time :). It looks very impressive on my workstation's
> monitor once transcoded to MPEG4 format though.

German private stations have decided to send HD in MPEG4 streams on
Astra; I cannot receive them with my Skystar 2 card, I have tried but
I cannot tune to those channels; I can receive the Astra HD test
channel, though, which is broadcasted in MPEG2.

From what I read, they want to introduce "basic encryption" for (then
not so) free tv channels from next year on on Astra. I will wait for the
encryption system to be running to buy a new receiver card, so that I
can buy a card that is known to be working with myth.

Now, if I am wrong and there is a trick to receive those channels with
my card: I would be happy to learn about it!

BTW, yesterday they started the new season "criminal minds" in HDTV on
Sat.1. Has anybody been able to see it in HD on myth?