[mythtv-users] network boot / boot speed (WAS: Re: diskless Mythtv USB)

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 28 00:23:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:20:03AM +1000, Luke Rosenthal wrote:
> While we're on the subject of diskless frontends, what would be better -
> running a complete diskless frontend that boots completey from the
> network, or having a machine with a 1gb compactflash containing bare
> essentials, that then loads via NFS whatever else is required?

One problem with flash is that it has a limited life-span and will
eventually fail if you keep writing to the same area over and over
again.  If you were using flash to hold a kernel and an initrd then
you'd be OK mounting the root filesystem over the network.  You
definitely don't want the root filesystem on flash.