[mythtv-users] Dual DVB-S Receiver Capable of using CI / CAM module

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Aug 27 22:10:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006, James Buckley wrote:

> OK, so I would definitly need a dual LNB dish (I thought it worked the same
> way as aerials, don't know why, just did....)

An LNB is an active component - it draws power from the tuner and the
tuner tells it to select a particular polarisation (vertical/horizontal)
and frequency band (high/low).  I have seen splitters that block the
selector tones and power from one of the tuners but that means one of the
tuners can't select polarisation and band and relies on the other to do
it.

Dual and quad LNBs are dirt cheap (I got mine off ebay for something like
8 quid) and easy enough to fit yourself so long as you can get to your
dish and are happy to lay your own satellite coax for the second output.
Mine involved hanging off a 10 metre ladder :)

--

  - Steve