[mythtv-users] Analog Audio issue w/Fusion HDTV5

Jason Seriff jseriff at serifffamily.com
Sun Aug 27 16:46:31 UTC 2006

I recently set up my first MythTV box, and everything has been working
great.  I original set it up with a WinTV PVR USB2 using the driver at
www.isley.net, and was up and running in no time.  I decided to purchase a
Dvico FusionHDTV5 RT Gold so I could get the clear QAM HDTV channels from my
cable provider (locals only).  I got that all set up, and working well.
Now, I have run in an issue.

I am having audio issues with the analog side of the FusionHDTV5 RT Gold.  I
have hooked it up to my cable box using the stereo connectors and S-Video.
I set it up in Myth as a new capture card, and am able to get video no
problem.  I am using firewire to change the STBs channel, and that seems to
work well also.  However, I cannot seem to get audio to where I am happy
with it.  I have tried both the external loopback connector going to the
line in on my soundcard (AC97), and the internal connector going to the
CD-IN on the Motherboard.  If I go into alsamixer, and unmute the line in/CD
in, I can hear sound from whatever show is on, and it sounds good. So, the
TV card seems to be outputting sound correctly.

When playing in Myth, I get very low quality, very metallic sound.  If I do
an 'aplay /dev/dsp' from the command line, I get a similar low quality sound
(and aplay indicates that it is 8Khz mono).  However, if I do an 'arecord -f
dat -D hw0:0 | aplay -' I get good, high quality sound (48Khz stereo).  For
testing purposes, I left this running and went into LiveTV.  I now get the
high quality 48Khz sound overlaying with Myth playing the low quality sound
(and they are a second or so off).  This appears to indicate that it is not
a CPU issue.

I have gone into mythtv-setup, and changed the capture quality from Auto to
48000, but that didn't seem to change anything while watching live TV.

After reading other threads on the issue here, I have tried playing with my
alsamixer levels, to see if there was some issue related to capture volume.
I tried at least an hour worth of fiddling with various settings, turning
capture way down, line-in way down, cd-in way down, moving PCM and Master
around, etc.  It sounds a little better with capture down pretty low, but it
still sound metallic, and blocky.  Regardless of what settings I used, going
through 'arecord -f dat ...' still gives me good sound.

Is there any setting/configuration item I have missed either in MythTV or
Alsa, which will provide higher quality audio capture?  Is there any other
information I can provide which may help indicate what the issue is?

I am currently running 0.20 SVN (10912).  I can always add my PVR USB2 back
into the mix for analog channels, but I was hoping to use it on a second
box.

Thanks for your help,
  Jason