[mythtv-users] Babelbox: A potentially useful new low-cost frontend?

Luke Rosenthal mythtv at harderstuff.net
Sun Aug 27 03:06:48 UTC 2006

>> I'm using the QT painter.  Would this make a big difference to the way
>> the menus run?  Would running OpenGL be possible with an old Geforce
>> MX420?
>> Am I asking too much of an old P4 2gHz (400mHz FSB) and this graphics
>> adapter?
>
> The QT painter mixes everything in software. Your GeForce would be
> more than up to the task of running Myth with OpenGL at virtually any
> resolution, but it would not be enough to decode HDTV (Even with XvMC).
> This does, however, require that you're using the NVidia Binary
> drivers ("nvidia" in your xorg config) rather than the NV Framebuffer
> drivers ("nv" in xorg config). This would also help the speed of the box
> in general, as the NVidia drivers offload a lot of blitting and the like
> on the GPU.

Happy to report that using the nvidia driver has vastly improved the
overall performance of the box, both watching recordings/live tv, and the
general responsiveness of all the menus is improved.  I was surprised that
it made such a difference to overall performance/navigation in the menus,
too.

Thanks for your help & suggestions.

Cheers,
Luke