[mythtv-users] New install - Backend, multiple frontends - reccomendations

Jim Moseby JMoseby at nrbindustries.com
Fri Aug 25 15:12:42 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm new to the group, and to MythTV.  I am excited about the possibilities,
but have some basic questions.

I am in the process of building a house, and I am almost at the point where
I am installing media and network systems.  My plan is to install a single
backend server with, say, 6 TV cards in it, and put little diskless/fanless
frontend boxes at each TV location (4 bedrooms, Family room, kitchen, and
office).

Having never done this, or even seen MythTV in action, I have a TON of
questions.  I have read the documentation, and still several questions have
arisen.

First, hardware for the backend.  My plan is to use cards that do hardware
encoding, because the docs say that will relieve the CPU from a large
portion of the work.  I have access to a Compaq quad zeon 1Ghz server with a
terabyte of SCSI RAID storage in pluggable drives that I hope to use.  I
would like this to serve as a single backend system, running the database,
storage and HDTV cards.  Sufficient?  Would you split out the backend duties
to multiple servers? (Recommendations as to which HDTV cards are most stable
and supported would be great.)

I'm thinking the hardware for frontend systems will be based around the tiny
VIA EPIA motherboard.  With those, I can build little netboot systems with
no moving parts.  There will be 7 of those total.  Sufficient?

The network to support it all will be Gigabit at the backend, and 100M to
the frontends, switched with a Dell PowerConnect 2124 switch.  I could find
no documentation about the network requirements for a backend/frontend
setup.  Will this be sufficient?

My hope is that we can have all 7 stations either watching live TV, playing
MAME games, listening to music or whatever simultaneously with no
degradation of performance or quality.  Any input from the group towards
this end will be much appreciated.

I do plan to document this entire project and publish the results.

Jim